Planned or unplanned, pregnancy often brings a long list of new experiences. From telling your friends and family, to planning for unfamiliar medical procedures, it can all feel a bit daunting and overwhelming.
Assure Women’s Center is here to help you plan for it all and know what to expect each step of the way.
In this blog, we will be discussing the importance of getting an ultrasound, as well as what to expect and how to find a free one near you!
What to Expect During an Ultrasound
Ultrasounds are non-invasive imaging scans that are used to create images of what’s happening inside of the body. The sonographer will spread a gel on the skin around your stomach and will use a device called a transducer to send low-level ultrasound waves through the body.
A computer will then take the information created by the soundwaves and their interaction with the body’s soft or solid tissue to create visual images. 1
Are ultrasounds safe?
Yes — Because ultrasounds simply use soundwaves and not radiation, they are completely safe for you and your pregnancy.1
Do I have to get an ultrasound?
Ultrasounds are an important step in learning about your unique pregnancy conditions.
Ultrasounds will provide you with the following information about your pregnancy:
- The gestational age of your pregnancy
- The viability of your pregnancy
- The location of the fetus
- Any health concerns, including ectopic pregnancy 2
- If you are pregnant with multiples
- The gender of your pregnancy (usually only visible after 18 weeks)
Whether you are planning to parent, place the baby for adoption, or terminate the pregnancy, an ultrasound is recommended. For those who plan to carry the pregnancy to term, an ultrasound provides important insight into your medical condition and will tell you the expected due date of your pregnancy.
If you are considering abortion, an ultrasound will help you identify any health concerns that could lead to dangerous abortion complications and determine what type of abortion procedure you are eligible for based on the gestational age of the pregnancy.
Where can I find a free ultrasound?
Assure Women’s Center is here to walk alongside you throughout your pregnancy and beyond! We provide free ultrasound scans, lab-quality pregnancy testing, medical and options consultations, and more!
Schedule your free appointment today!
- Brazier, Y. (2017) “How do ultrasound scans work?” www.medicalnewstoday.com. Accessed June 29, 2021.
- Doubilet PM. Ultrasound evaluation of the first trimester. Radiol Clin North Am. 2014 Nov;52(6):1191-9. doi: 10.1016/j.rcl.2014.07.004. Epub 2014 Aug 24. PMID: 25444100.